Re: Open Xlock as root

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Stephen Langasek wrote:

> I don't see why you would want to give arbitrary users access to the
> framebuffer device in the first place.

It's like the ownership of tty devices.
See, the user occasionally needs to run applications that want other means
to draw/input than X. The need is here, but it's just usually ignored.

Think also that I don't like to trust as big program as X server - it
crashes sometimes (even if once a year) hence has bugs hence is breakable.
The bigger the propgram is the less you can trust it.

Otherwise, it is going offtopic here.
Lot of considerations including security has been taken into account by
ggi project, see e.g. http://www.ggi-project.org/docs/kgi/intro.html

Regards,
--
Ivan Popov <pin@math.chalmers.se>
Systemman, Driftavdelningen, Matematiska institutionen, Chalmers