Re: Open Xlock as root

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> The only reason (that we know of yet...) that we haven't already switched
> over is lack of testing.  We're certainly looking at it as a default for
> some time in the future (no promises when...) and we do recommend it to
> individual support customers who are running into pam_pwdb's limitations
> and have, as far as I know, found it satisfactory in those cases.

I'm glad to hear it.  One less change I have to make to systems when I
install them. :)

> So to someone setting up a new system from scratch, I would only recommend
> pam_pwdb if they found a problem with pam_unix and needed a workaround and
> found that pam_pwdb fixed it.

I would hope that if someone did find a problem with pam_unix and needed a
workaround, that they would also report it to the PAM list so that the
problem could be addressed in future releases. :)

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer