Re: pam_unix, cracklib, Makefiles

On Thu, Dec 16, Marcus Harnisch wrote:

>  > The only thing I find very bad is, that pam_cracklib does not
>  > read a config file. If I wish to change on option (for example
>  > min length of a password), I need to grep through all config
>  > files and make the necessary changes.
>
> Hmm, this is IMHO a matter of personal taste. I could imagine that I
> actually want a different configuration for different services which
> couldn't be achieved easily by a global config file. Many other PAM
> modules have to be configured without a config file, too.

Yes, but I don't think a user should be allowed to use a weak password,
because he logs in with rlogin when his password needs to be changed,
and the user calling "passwd" has to choose a very good one. The
configuration for changing the password should be the same for everybody.

It's hard enough to find out which programs let the user change the
password, in the moment I know of login, rlogin, OpenSSH and passwd.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg