Re: timer restrictions

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Christopher McCrory wrote:

> 	I had a problem user today.  For some reason he decided to pop his mail
> every 5 seconds for a while.  This caused inetd to shut off pop for 15
> minutes (failing looping...).  Has anyone done any "time between
> invocations" modules.  i.e.  max connects=10 per hour, etc.  With
> ipop3d, AFAIK,  one reject will show the client down.   Yes, no, maybe?
> This might be my new project...

I am afraid a PAM module would not help you. Many MUAs for the platform
whose name I shall not utter ignore any errors, including authentication
errors, and keep trying to connect without indicating any error to the
user.

I'd probably made a standalone program watching the frequency of
connections and firewalling out offending clients for a few minutes.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"NSA GCHQ KGB CIA nuclear conspiration war weapon spy agent... Hi Echelon!"