Re: Basic Authentication for web pages

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 11:18:15AM +1100, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Wes Brown wrote:
>
> > I have been looking into creating an application that will use PAM as the
> > authentication mechanism for Basic Authentication of web pages.
> >
> > I have the code to get the information from the server.  Now I am trying to
> > figure out how the PAM library is going to know where to get the
> > password.
> >
> > hoping for Kerberos IV and 5, Novell bindery, and local passwd file access.
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You can use "nwauth" (part of ncpfs package) to authenticate to a Novell
> server. Currently only bindery authentication is available. Here's a
> (simple) function (in PHP) that return 0 or 1 based on bindery
> authentication:

Maybe you do not understand what I am trying to do.  The server that I am
using will pass the authentication information to me on stdin.  I want to
process this in a way so things can be handled by PAM (thus the message to
the pam-list).  Novell bindery is working for me via PAM for logging into
the workstation.

Getting bindery working is less than 25% of my problem.  I could hack the
thing together with a bunch of scripts, but the chances of that being
secure is minimal.  I want to write a PAM application that will gather the
Basic Authentication information from the web server and it would be
preferable to write that in C.

Wes
---
Wes Brown