Re: Basic Authentication for web pages

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 05:33:16PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Wes Brown wrote:
> > Maybe you do not understand what I am trying to do.  The server that I am
> > using will pass the authentication information to me on stdin.  I want to
> > process this in a way so things can be handled by PAM (thus the message to
> > the pam-list).  Novell bindery is working for me via PAM for logging into
> > the workstation.
> >
> > Getting bindery working is less than 25% of my problem.  I could hack the
> > thing together with a bunch of scripts, but the chances of that being
> > secure is minimal.  I want to write a PAM application that will gather the
> > Basic Authentication information from the web server and it would be
> > preferable to write that in C.
>
> What webserver are you using?

WN.

> There is an Apache module for authentication via PAM - look in the
> Apache modules registry (follow links from www.apache.org) to find it.
>
> There is an LDAP apache module as well, which I am using now. The PAM
> module did user authentication, but could not do group authentication.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

I know of the Apache module for PAM.  The purpose of my writing a module
like this is to learn how to write a PAM application.  I figured someone
would have already dealt with the problems that I am facing if I started
with the Basic Authentication for HTTP.

I am trying to figure out if PAM is responsible for getting the information
from the web server or if I should pass it in some way that I am not aware
of.

Wes
---
Wes Brown