Re: Source code for Pam'd applications

Pavel Kankovsky <peak@kerberos.troja.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:

> I have PAMified linux-ftpd. See http://www.dcit.cz/~kan/pam/.

  A snippet of which is below.

> +                       case PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF:
> +                               /* cheat with the password */
> +                               text = strdup(pampasswd ? pampasswd : "");
> +                               if (!text) goto die;
> +                               reply[count].resp_retcode = PAM_SUCCESS;
> +                               reply[count].resp = text;
> +                               break;
> +                       case PAM_TEXT_INFO:
> +                               /* ignored */
> +                               break;
> +                       case PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON:
> +                       case PAM_ERROR_MSG:
> +                       default:
> +                               /* some error */
> +                               goto die;

  I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of applications implementing
security policy through partial PAM support.  Maybe the code structure
of linux-ftpd doesn't handle this well, but there seems to be no
reason why PAM_TEXT_INFO can't result in a '331' message.

  The problem with many applications (as I see it) is that PAM support
is grafted on to replace the original static password support.  PAM
does a LOT more than that, and so do most application-layer
protocols.  So instead of making a PAM-compliant application, it
becomes PAM-aware, because it ONLY supports static passwords, and
refuses to do what PAM & the system administrator tell it to do.

  e.g. Ignore PAM_TEXT_INFO messages, and die on PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON

  It takes a lot more work to integrate PAM into an application, but
I believe the benefits are worth the work.

  Alan DeKok.