New to PAM, need help.

With a newly installed RH5.2 system, after adding some groups and
a few dummy users (with useradd and usermod), I'm seeing

	% su xxxx
	Password:
	su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

Su also fails if I telnet to the host but works if I telnet out (from
an xterm), and telnet back in.

Security is not a concern on this machine, and I'd like to find out how to
disable pam while I work these problems out.

    Terry West