pam_smb 1.1 'error receiving response to SessSetupAndX'

...a bit later...

now i can get pam_smb to *usually* authenticate against my NT domain...in
fact if the authentication requests are relatively infrequent, all seems
well...

howeveri'm using this with mod_raoming to store Netscpae 4.5 profiles via
apache, and netscape/apache does a separate authentication for each of the
config files, which is about 15 logins within a second on my machine...at
this load, it seems to skip about 1 authentication in 20...enabling DEBUG
shows that the call thats failing is in smblib.c:

  Error receiving response to SessSetupAndX

...two questions:

a) anyone lnow what this means?
b) anyone know if i can link against the current version of samba rather
than the smblib that comes with pam_smb? if so, how do i do so?

thanks!