Re: 8 char max passwd size under RH5.2

> One thing that may be a problem, I use shadow password files currently. What
> is the safest method to convert from shadow to bigcrypt or MD5? Also, do I
> lose the security of a shadow file if I convert to one fo those two?

	bigcrypt and MD5 are only supported by the pam_pwdb module.
    If you have configured your /etc/pwdb.conf to use shadow as a
    password source then there should be no problem with MD5 and
    bigcrypt, since pwdb will "hide" the fact that the encrypted password
    text lives in separate files. If you are using another pam module
    (aside from pam_pwdb) then I dont know.

			andy
--
atp@nojunk-mssl.ucl.ac.uk             |        Dr. Andy Phillips