Re: Modifications to the pam_unix module

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 10:45:13PM -0500, Stephen Langasek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been working on updating the pam_unix module to make it a viable, more
> efficient replacement for pam_pwdb.  Per Andrew's advice, I'll be submitting
> my patches to the list so that interested parties might have an opportunity
> to provide feedback.  My first patch, attached below, enables full support
> for MD5 passwords on systems where this is implemented as part of crypt(3).

As far as can I see your implementation of MD5 hashed passwords isn't correct
on big endian systems.

The well known MD5 code you've taken requires a predefined symbol (HIGHFIRST)
for big endian target.  If you don't provide the symbol the code will return
a wrong result.  So you will lose the ability to move passwd files between
systems.

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin