PAM, passwd and shadow utilities

Hi,

on a RedHat 5.2 system and a TurboLinux 3.4.0 system, both with pam-0.64,
if I do the following:

pwconv
chage -m 3 user1

Then if I log in as user1, I can change my password as many times as I want
in a few minutes.

I thought that the above chage command said that passwords had a minimum
lifetime of 3 days.

Hmmm, I have just checked that I do not have -M and -m reversed, and that
chage does not have them reversed either.

It seems that pam_pwdp.so does not handle the /etc/shadow functions
correctly. I have added the shadow keyword to the password line in
/etc/pam.d/passwd.

Can anyone comment?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com, NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Samba (Team member www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member www.zing.org)
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours