PAM-Linux questions.

First let me say I am sure these questions are very rudimentary for people into
PAM stuff but I need some guidence.

I would not bother with these questions is I had not read the PAM-Linux
material  and and remain mystified about two points.

If there is an additional document I could obtain othere than "The Linux-PAM
System Adfministrators Guide" that would shed light on these matters please
suggest it to me.

1. In that document is  explained  how to arrange to have anonymous ftp to be
handled but below is the ftp file in the /etc/pam.d directory and I fail to see
how anonymous ftp is handled by these lines. Could anyone  explain? (This file
is from Red Hat 5.2 Linux, but the same files structure appears in RH 6.0)

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_shells.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

2. Now in the the second auth line above (as well as in the rlogin, login,
etc.) there is a shadow argument to the /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
module. One would assume that the shadow indicates authentication through
shadow passwd-s. But our systems do not use shadow passwd-s; and yet the
authentication works. Why is that?

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University