Re: PAM, passwd and shadow utilities

Once upon a time, Stephen Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> said:
>The chage command you list above is, AFAIK, correct.  However, a quick grep
>through the pam_pwdb source shows that it makes no effort to check this
>value before allowing the user to change the password.  Neither does
>pam_unix right now.  I'll make a note to add this to pam_unix_passwd
>sometime soon, assuming no one else gets to it first.  Would anyone like to
>make the necessary changes to pam_pwdb as well?

This brings up a question I've had for a while: why are there two
separate systems maintained?  It seems like a waste of effort to have
both the pam_pwdb and pam_unix_* modules.  Is there a reason for this?
--
Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com> - System Administrator
Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.