Re: PAM, passwd and shadow utilities

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Chris Adams wrote:

> This brings up a question I've had for a while: why are there two
> separate systems maintained?  It seems like a waste of effort to have
> both the pam_pwdb and pam_unix_* modules.  Is there a reason for this?

Originally, it was expected that pam_pwdb would supersede pam_unix_* in
Linux-PAM.  However, there are significant performance problems in pam_pwdb
which make it a poor choice for heavily used servers, while at the same time
the NSS support in glibc has advanced to the point that libpwdb is somewhat
redundant.

In truth, the pam_unix_* modules seem to have gone without maintenance for
some time, although Debian is looking at using them by default in their next
release.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer