pam_opie RH6.0 not working?

Hi All,

I've been successfully using pam_opie for a while, currently on
Red Hat 5.2/x86.

I installed RH6.0 on a sparc recently and tried to implement
pam_opie in much the same way as with RH5.2.

For example in /etc/pam.d/login:
auth	sufficient	/lib/security/pam_if.so tty=tty[0-2] \
			-- pam_pwdb.so
auth	required	/lib/security/pam_opie.so

This configuration works fine on RH5.2/x86.

On RH6.0/sparc, however, It fails at the call to opiechallenge
and generates the error message:

Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.

in the log file.

My C programing is rusty, but I have determined that it is
failing at the opiechallenge call and returns PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL.
The return code from opiechallenge is always -1.

I've re-compiled libopie with -DDEBUG and get absolutely no
output from opiechallenge (or any other routing in libopie).
Yes, I did configure & test /etc/syslog.conf to capture messages
logged to *.debug.

It seems that opiechallenge is never called. Could that be true?
Does this mean there is a link-time problem that needs resolution?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks & regards,
Scott