Re: Internalization, prompts and passwords

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Jani Jaakkola wrote:

> Yet again: how an application, which has no way of communicating
> with the user and knows only about certain types of prompts
> (Samba being a good example of this kind of application), should use PAM?
> If there is no good way to use PAM with these kind of applications,
> then what is the least bad way of doing that? Should I use
> strcmp(prompt,"Password: ") or should I assume that ECHO_OFF really means
> "give me the password"?

Many applications assume that ECHO_OFF means "give me the password", so at
least you wouldn't be alone. :/  In my own code, I usually check for both
ECHO_OFF and some kind of 'password' substring in the message being passed.

(I've had to do this for some perl cgi scripts, and it was painful. :D  I've
made a start at PAM support for PHP, complete with /real/ conversation
support, but I haven't had a chance to get back to that project in a while.)

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer