Password strength checking

I need some help configuring pam_cracklib to do what I'd like:
passwords with a minimum of 8 characters with characters from
at least 3 of the four groups l, u, d, o.  By setting dcredit,
ucredit, lcredit, and ocredit to 1, and minlen to 11 I would get
what I need if I were able to limit passwords to 8 characters,
but I can't.  Consequently it's possible to circumvent the
character set requirement by simply using more characters.

Any suggestions?  Is there another password strength checker
that I could use?

Thanks,

Neil Carlson (nnc@lanl.gov)