Re: dlerror: undefined symbol: yperr_string

> Hi!
>
> I recently upgraded from SuSE 6.1 to 6.2 which features PAM now.
> Yes, I know this is a RedHat list but please read on!

this is a PAM list, AFAIK

> Whenever su, passwd, login or probably some other commands are run, the
> following errors are logged to syslog:

whenever any PAM aware application is called, it looks for a pam
configuration file on /etc/pam.d/*, i bet those utilities giving you
problem use pam_unix_auth.so somewhere.

> su: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so)
> su: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so:
> 		  undefined symbol: yperr_string]
> su: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so

pam_unix_auth.so is the security problem you'll need, check if there is
any on /lib/security, if there isn't blame your packager.

> Identical messages appear also for pam_unix_acct.so, pam_unix_passwd.so
> and pam_unix_session.so.

pam_unix are obsolete modules AFAIK, you should be using pam_pwdb, take a
look to PAM documentation to help you build your pam configuration
files.

i bet SuSE should have upgraded tools that use pam_pwdb instead of
pam_unix*, take a look to updated packages also

HTH

Carlo