use_authtok -- what purpose?

Hello!

I'm now in process of writing a module that, like pam_cracklib, checks
user's password for "goodness" (actually, I want to fix many small bugs
in pam_cracklib -- and make it available, ofcource).  And I found (a sort of)
bug in pam_cracklib in usage of use_authtok parameter.  And here is question:
what we should do if:
  use_authtok is set to yes
  but pam_get_item(PAM_AUTHTOK) returns error or empty (or NULL) password ?

I see two choices, namely, just return error (PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVER_ERR?), or,
alternatively, ask user as if use_authtok was not set.  What should be done?

Regards,
  Michael.