Alternate password/shadow files?

Is it possible to tell PAM to use an alternate passwd/shadow file pair
to authenticate users?  I've spent a number of hours trying to trace the
code, and I have yet to encounter any hard-coded reference to
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

On the other hand, I've found no indication that there are any places to
pass alternate files into PAM.

Any directions I should be looking in?  Am I looking at having to write
another module for PAM?

Kris Deugau
kdeugau@webhart.net