Using pam to check a known password.

Learned PAMsters, I have a problem.  I want to use PAM to check a
password that is already in the application's possession, but PAM's
design is making it difficult.

wuftp achieves this by having the conversation function return the
password when it is given what looks like a password prompt.

Is there a way to ask PAM: "here's a username and password, do they
belong together?"

...or is my application to assume that when a module asks it to turn off
character echoing it should send back the plaintext password?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Donkin                  Waikato University, Hamilton,  New Zealand