Re: User Login session

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 12:50:05PM -0400, Duan, Qu wrote:
> A quick question about user interface between application
> and pam_ldap.so. I am using this module to authenitcate
> FTP (wu_ftpd) user login.  Who will prompt the user for
> login name and password, ftp or pam_ldap.so? Is there a
> single "first place" I can get chance to modify user name
> immediately after it is recieved at server side?

In PAM, the prompting is always done by the application, presumably at
the request of a module in the stack.  This may or may not be different
in wu-ftpd due to limitations or requirements of the FTP protocol.

Realistically, the FTP server probably has two strings.  Any requests from
a module for text with PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON will get the user name, and
requests for PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF will get the password.  While not always
correct, it works for the most common password-checking cases.

Nalin