Re: module unload?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 01:02:08PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > All modules are loaded at the same time, and stacked up in memory by
> > libpam. They are unloaded when the process calls pam_end(). This parent
> > 'su' doesn't call pam_end() until the session is closed.
>
> But why them all loaded?  It can be done on demand...
> I.e. load all config entries, and actually load modules while walking on
> particular stack...  One stack at a whole (on pam_authentificate - all auth),
> or by module basis (one some module marked as sufficient returns success, there
> is no need in next ones).
> So the original question should be refrased now: why all of them loaded,
> even uneeded ones?

If the configuration file is badly written, or the installed modules have
problems loading, you definitely want to know before you let the process
go any further.

Any other course of action could let the application fail in strange and
unusual ways if one stack or module works and another doesn't.

Nalin