Re: Question about pam_xauth (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> >> If you're logged in at an xterm and you su, usually you want your Xauthority
> >> keys to be forwarded so that any programs you run as root can then connect to
> >> your X display.
>
> > Well this is really frustrating. Never on any RedHat Linux system has the
> > behavior you describe been seen as far as I know. I sent out messages on the
> > various RedHat lists requesting other experiences. I cannot count the times I
> > have had to help people get their X applications to run after they su-ed to
> > root. Always an xhost had to be run and often a DISPLAY variable had to be
> > set.
>
> > Now I am pleading with you people who are supposed to know PAM to answer the
> > following questions:
> > 1 Steve Langasek what Linux do you use? I will check the messages but the
> > behavior is always the same. An error that the application cannot connect to
> > the X display.
>
> I've used pam_xauth successfully on RedHat 6.0 and RedHat 6.1 systems.  I use
> gdm for logging in.  If I su to root and run 'printtool', everything works as
> expected.
>
> I have run into occasional glitches with pam_xauth, but nothing I could ever
> reproduce reliably..

Funny your should mention printtool, since after writing to pam-list I tried to
su to root and run printtool. As it has always done it did not run because it
would not connect to the X console. Now this is getting frustrating. You must be
doing something that I am not doing because what you are describing does not work
on my machines. Below I have included the /etc/pam.d/su file in case that is
different:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow use_authtok nullok
session    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    optional	/lib/security/pam_xauth.so

There just has to be some extra configuration you have done on your system that
makes it work. You asked about messages. There were none in /var/log/messages.
I am really rather frustrated and I don't know where to turn for an answer. By
the way I also use gdm for logging in.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University