Re: pam_ldap

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:38:08 -0400 Gary Flynn <flynngn@jmu.edu> wrote:

> I don't think it works on HPUX 11. Not even sure about HPUX 10.
> I tried for a long time. If I remember correctly, its something
> to do with the way they implement shared libraries.

According to my knowledge, it wont work out of the box on HP's if the
OpenLDAP libraries or other LDAP libraries have been compiles with
pthread support. the shl_load syscall doesn't load libraries that
have something called "Thread Local Storage".

The workaround for this according to HP support (I am not sure how
true this is) is to link the HP programs with Pthreads.. (i.e. having
HP re-link their login and ftpd programs to use pthreads). I don't
know how much that is possible, but maybe HP does this as a special
case. Don't know.

> I'd love to be told I'm wrong!

I hope to tell you soon. Right now I've compiled the Openldap with
shared libraries without pthreads. I linked pam_ldap with these
openldap libraries. It seems to be loading the pam_ldap.so.1 shlib
but comes back with an error about unsatisfied external symbols.

> I'd heard that HP was going to provide a pam_ldap module but
> its long past the point where I'd expected it to be released.

They led me to believe it was going to be sometime this year. Perhaps
in the summer.