Re: Question about pam_xauth (fwd)

> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote
> [snip]
> > files.However, it appears to only forward it for use with unix
> > sockets.  Perhaps for some reason, your programs are trying to
> > connect over TCP/IP?
> >
> > Steve Langasek
>
> hello!
> Perhaps Aaron has set $DISPLAY to <hostname>:0 instead of :0 which
> forces X to use tcp/ip (if I read man X correctly).
>  cu andreas
>
> --

Ok lets be clear. I do set the DISPLAY to <hostname>:0 We have 40 Linux
machines at Trinity; installed independently by at least four different
people. I can not find any of these machines where it is possible to su to
root and run a program like printtool without running xhost. In every case,
one gets the following error lines:
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"

All these machines are RedHat 6.x

There is something we have not configured properly and I wish someone could
identify what it is we have to do to make it work. Others on the cartman
and zoot lists have indicated the same behavior that we see. It is very
frustrating but I guess this mystery will remain unsolved.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.