Looking for simple helper app

I'm looking for a dirt-simple PAM authentication app that I
can use from a PHP script.  All I need is to distiguish between
a correct password and an incorrect one -- I'll do the rest in
my script.  Does anybody have a pointer to something like this?

-mike

--

"Modern electronic-rock music, inaugurated in the early 1960s, is, and
 always has been, a joint enterprise of British military intelligence

GnuPG key available at http://devel.duluoz.net/pubkey.asc
Key ID = 1024D/9A256AE5 1999-11-13 Mike Glover <mpg4@duluoz.net>
Key fingerprint = EF6E 8BCB 4810 E98C F0FD  4596 367A 32B7 9A25 6AE5