using same long passwords under Linux and BSD/OS

My RedHat 6.1 GNU/Linux box uses PAM and md5. My BSD/OS box also uses md5.

I need to be able to copy the password files back and forth between
systems. I wrote a script that recreates the Linux /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow files from the BSD/OS /etc/master.passwd format.

All the passwords work, except the root password. Under BSD/OS it is
called a "widepassword". In the BSD/OS password file, the encrypted string
is 20 characters long. (The other passwords -- that also work under Linux
-- are 13 characters long.)

Does anyone know how I can configure PAM to be able to work with this long
formatted password? (And the others can continue to work?)

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

(On a side-note: if anyone has any scripts or experiences to share about
converting password databases from Linux to BSD/OS and back again, I'd
appreciate it.)

Jeremy C. Reed	     	     	     	jcr@iwbc.net
UNIX Admin          	     	     	Fax: 425-290-1751
IWBC ISP Services   	     	     	http://www.iwbc.net