PAM Module for Active Directory?

Has anyone tried the PAM_LDAP module against Active
Directory? I
assume that the machine would have to join the AD
Kerberos realm too.
Anyhow, I know a few people on the OpenLDAP list seem
to have had
some luck querying AD but I believe MS has a
proprietary format for
keeping user passwords in AD? Can someone explain
this? My goal of
course is to have unified login between UNIX and
Windows systems and
SSO to boot.