RE: PAM for IMAP/POP

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Chowdhury, Haider wrote:

> 	Could any one of you please give idea whether we can use PAM for
> pop/imap ? PAM LDAP  and KERBEROS are there, whether those authentication
> mechanism can be used for POP/IMAP ?

PAM modules that authenticate against external databases won't be of much
use
to you if you're using a POP server which needs a valid Unix user.  I assume
you're using the UWash POP server, or something similar--these servers need
know what Unix user to run as when opening the mailbox.  There are other
POP/IMAP servers, such as cyrus imapd, which don't require the users to be
in
the password file.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

Steve,

Have you implemented PAM for Cyrus. What I see in the installation
documentation that Cyrus has to be compiled --with-auth=METHOD . And the
available mechanisms are: ANONYMOUS, KERBEROS_V4, DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5.
I'm wondering we could use PAM authentication over here. I'm confused here
about Authorization and Authentication. Could you pls explain ?

Thanks.

Razzakul Haider Chowdhury (Babul)