RE: PAM for IMAP/POP

Babul,

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Chowdhury, Haider wrote:

> PAM modules that authenticate against external databases won't be of much
> use to you if you're using a POP server which needs a valid Unix user.  I
> assume you're using the UWash POP server, or something similar--these
> servers need to know what Unix user to run as when opening the mailbox.
> There are other POP/IMAP servers, such as cyrus imapd, which don't require
> the users to be in the password file.

> Have you implemented PAM for Cyrus. What I see in the installation
> documentation that Cyrus has to be compiled --with-auth=METHOD . And the
> available mechanisms are: ANONYMOUS, KERBEROS_V4, DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5.
> I'm wondering we could use PAM authentication over here. I'm confused here
> about Authorization and Authentication. Could you pls explain ?

I know that Cyrus imapd can be made to authenticate using PAM, based on other
reports I've seen, although I personally haven't had an opportunity to work
with it yet.  You may need to install and configure Cyrus SASL support to make
this work; it may also be able to autodetect PAM support on your system at
build-time.

Authentication is the process of determining the identity of a user.
Authorization is the process of determining what access privileges a user
should have.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer