smbmount and PAM

I would like to be able to have PAM (or any utility) automatically mount SMB
volumes.  The user name and password to access a given share on that volume -
\\sphinx\$username -U $username -P $passwd - are required.  As it stands, any
linux implementation in the computer labs that automatically mounts user home
directories will require the user to enter the password twice.

I'd like to avoid this; is it conceivable to use a PAM module to pass the
user's password to smbmount as entered?  Is PAM designed to make this possible?
If so, how?! ;)

Thanks in advance,
Rob Bos, Simon Fraser University

--
Rob Bos, rbos@{sandwich.net|linux.com|jihad.net|sfu.ca}, pedant at large

Please forgive me if, in the heat of battle,
I sometimes forget which side I'm on.