RE: pam_smb and home directories

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Fredrik Liljegren wrote:

> As stated recenly here on the list, to mount that directory it will either
> have to catch the password entered at login, or somehow change smbmount to
> be more pam-conforming in some way (but I don't know enough about smb
> protocol for this; ie, how does smb prove it's authenticated without sending
> the password?).

At present, smb can *not* prove it's authenticated without sending the
password.  The kerberos-like authentication in Win2k may change this in the
future, but it won't change anything for older SMB clients (which means any
version of Windows prior to Win2K).

So there has to be some way to get that password from the authentication
module to the session module used to mount the home directory.  Otherwise, we
would have to prompt for passwords twice.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer