Re: pam_smb and home directories

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jason David Corbett wrote:

> Is it possible for the authentication module to store an encripted
> password and then,
> use the encripted password for the authentication?

Authentication modules already store the cleartext password in memory as a
PAM_ITEM for the purpose of module stacking, so this is available--it's just
something that other modules aren't "supposed" to touch.  I don't see that
passing an "encrypted" password around gains us anything, and it would
certainly add complexity, given that smbmount expects the password in
cleartext.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer