Re: pam_smb and home directories

> Authentication modules already store the cleartext password in memory as a
> PAM_ITEM for the purpose of module stacking, so this is available--it's just
> something that other modules aren't "supposed" to touch.  I don't see that
> passing an "encrypted" password around gains us anything, and it would
> certainly add complexity, given that smbmount expects the password in
> cleartext.

that's another story.  smbmount expects the password in cleartext because
that's the way the code is written.  it takes the cleartext password and
generates the smb password hash.

if it was written to take password hashes (e.g from an ssh-agent-style
daemon) then it could use those, just as easily as a user-entered
plaintext password.