Re: PAM and home dirs

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:44:05AM +0100, puppe_77@euroseek.com wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I have a problem. I have a database with username, password and home dir. I've managed to get the authentication to work, but is there anyway for PAM to tell PAM-aware applications where a users homedir is, or wasn't PAM ment for this?

You'll need an NSS module that pulls this information from your database
server, or have a custom tool that dumps that info to a standard format
that the normal NSS layer can understand (passwd,shadow,group files, or
.db files).

PAM was never meant to be a replacement for Name Service lookups. Common
examples of this are the libnss-ldap and pam-ldap modules that work
together to allow user entries to reside in an LDAP directory server.