changing login.c

hello,
i want to logon with my chipcard. therefore i dont want to write my username at the login process. the username should be read from the card directly and given to the login process. So i did not find a conlusion to this problem by PAM i decided to rewrite the login.c file. Has anyone experiences with this problem or has anyone rewritten the login process ?
Thanks

Peter