Re: pam and php 4 on apache/redhat linux

Hello Rebecca,

> i am using pam_auth
> (http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning/pam_auth.html) to verify
> username/password.

> if i enter an incorrect username i get "check pass/user unknown" error.
> if i enter correct username and correct or incorrect password (doesn't
> matter) i get "password not found" error.

> i have created the /etc/pam.d/php file, and followed all direction on
> the page referenced above (atleast i think i have).....i'm at a loss.

> after i added /etc/pam.d/php file i added this line of code:

> auth required /lib/security/pam_warn.so

> then i also got this as part of the error:

> user: (uid=99) -> rebecca [remote: ?nobody@?nowhere]

> has anyone tried to use pam_auth and had a similar problem?

I can't help much with getting that particular pam auth module to work, but I
can suggest an alternative which might give you better results, or at least
better error logs (I hope...)

ftp://ftp.netexpress.net/pub/pam/php_pam.newest.tgz

php_pam fully implements the PAM API, and should work with a much wider range
of PAM modules than Chad Cunningham's pam_auth module.  Of course, since I'm
the author of php_pam you may wish to take my biased recommendations with a
grain of salt. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer