alternate passwd file

I am writing a linux application that requires users to be
authenticated, but these users are completey independant of
the users of my system (i.e. shell/pop access).

Having read all the documentation for PAM it seems that there
is no module that supports user athentication from a file other
than /etc/{passwd|shadow}.
(Actually the berkeley db module does this but I don't know how
easy db files are to manipulate.)

I want athentication from /var/myapp.pwd  A bit like apache's
.htpasswd files.

Is this not an appropriate use of PAM?  Am I missing something
obvious?

Why can't I do this (I know there must be a good reason)?:

#%PAM-1.0
auth  required       pam_pwdb.so file=/var/mypasswd

Please help

Sam
--
sam clegg