PAM_LDAP

Hello,
I set up an openldap server. My linux client is configured to authorize
users with pam_ldap.
Yesterday I had great problems and when I tried to find the solution, I
grabbed the packages and saw my password
as cleartext.
I think it would be better to request the crypted password and compare it on
the workstation.
There is a solution with ldap over ssl, but I have to provide information
for about
1300 users without certificates till now.
Is there a solution, perhaps another pam_ldap-module?

cu Jan