username above 13 characters not accepted

Hello,
I am using pam_mysql to authenticate pop users against a mysql database.
All works well until I enter a username longer than 13 characters.  I spoke
to the authors of pam_mysql and they are puzzled as the length of the
username is returned by pam itself and not the module.  I also authenticated
against the system pass account via pam, and that also failed (for long
usernames).

Pointing to a pam problem rather than pam_mysql.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  I am using PAM on a Linux SuSE 7.0
distribution.

Chris Siakos                        Ph:    +61 3 8604 2488
Secure Commerce Services            Fax:   +61 3 9629 2800
Level 1, 35 King Street             Mbl:   +61 414 482 595
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia        Email: chris@securecommerce.com.au
SCS - Securing Electronic Business - (see www.securecommerce.com.au)