Decoupling PAM prompts from responses

Hi,

Is it possible to decouple the collection of prompts from the response
to them? It seems that you have to do both at once in the conversation
function.

I want to be able to grab the prompts and then respond to them with a
seperate call.

Why? I am rewriting OpenSSH's PAM keyboard interactive auth method
to integrate better (currently it abuses the protocol a bit :). Auth
requests and responses can come asynchronously, and we use a callback
architecture to process them when they arrive. I can't make this fit
with the conversation function's need to deliver the prompts and expect
the replies within the same function.

Any help would be appreciated.

-d