PAM_SUCCESS does not accept login?

I know this is sort of a stupid question
of a newbie pam programmer, if anyone can
help me out i'll greatly appreciate it.

i am trying to write a simple pam module
which pretends to provide its propietary
user database. Even if i return PAM_SUCCESS
from my pam_sm_authenticate function, the
client application receives a 13d (PAM_
USER_UNKNOWN).

Is the pam module supposed to set the
user's UID somewhere? What's the security
level of a PAM_SUCCESS accepted user
account, otherwise??

could there be a bug on my distro?
(rh 7.1.95 FairFax)