PAM on Linux...

Hello,

I'm trying to write a small program that uses PAM to authenticate a user
given a username and password. The program I have uses pam_start and
pam_authenticate. What I'm finding on Linux is that pam_authenticate calls
the conversation routine once for the password and always returns PAM error
code 3. The same program works fine on a Sun machine and fine on an HP-UX
machine and I can't see where I'm going wrong. It's almost as if PAM is not
linked upto the /etc/passwd file which is the authentication mechanism we
use.

Should we expect PAM to work straight out of the box or is there something
more that needs to be done ?
Were any versions of PAM buggy ?

Martin