Telnet and PAM

Hi,

I'am a new user of PAM and i want to get my user be able to be in the future authenticate via MYSQL database.
But the now i just want to understand how PAM work. Do anybody have some good documentation on it ?
And could you help me get connected via telnet on my Linux Server. Since i have re-install all the machine with PAM i can't not.
I'm using redhat 6.2

Thanx In advance.

Sewa