passwd and shadow

Hi there

Is there any way that I can move  passwd and shadow from the /etc
directory  to another - (preferably /usr/local/etc)?

The context of the
question is that I am running NIS to provide logins to over 150
computers.  However, none of the computers have a hard drive.  The server
NFS mounts what is necessary to run the lab.
If I could move passwd and shadow, I would not need to run NIS. I
cannot simply NFS mount /etc, as each computers needs its own /etc files,
but I already NFS mount /usr to all computers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sue McGlashan
email sue@cs.wits.ac.za Phone: +27 (011) 717 6191