PAM threadsafe?

I am working on a multithreaded server that makes use of PAM to
authenticate connecting users.

It would appear that pam_pwdb uses static variables for its bigcrypt
and md5 routines.  This caused problems when multiple threads
attempted to run these functions.  It would appear that these
functions (at a minimum) are not reentrant.

Has anyone attempted to use PAM in a multithreaded environment?  Are
there any opinions on how feasible this is?  I am wondering if the
one issue I've spotted thus far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks,

Devin Heitmueller
Senior Software Engineer
Netilla Networks Inc