get_pam_user

Hi, I am trying to set up PAM 0.75 on a new system that has no previous PAM installation. PAM appeared to build fine, so I then rebuilt the shadow password suite with PAM support. When I try to test the setup by logging in on a different tty, it doesn't work. After entering a username, it says 'Login Failed', makes a bunch of log entries and returns to the user prompt.

The log entries are as follows:

PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so)
PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_user]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so
PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_warn.so)
PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_warn.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_warn.so
PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so)
PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_user]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so)
PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_user]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so
PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix_session.so)
PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_user]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so
FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM FOR root, Module is unknown

I just want to see if PAM is working, so other is the only file I put in /etc/pam.d

/etc/pam.d/other looks like this:

auth     required /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so
auth     required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
account  required /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
account  required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
password required /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so
password required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
session  required /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so
session  required /lib/security/pam_warn.so

I'm assuming there is some sort of linking problem with my PAM build since I have undefined symbols. I have run ldconfig and ldconfig -v shows the lib_pam* libraries.

I am building with gcc 3.0 and glibc 2.2.3

Any help figuring this out will be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Eric Christensen