Re: PAM + SAMBA

Mike Traynor wrote:
> I've been trying to get SAMBA 2.2.x up and running as a PDC and NT domain logon server
> for a few client machines running win98se/winme.  The unix machine is an intel x86 running
> RedHat Linux 7.0.  I tried the SAMBA 2.2.0 rpm first and was unable to get it working.

Where did you find that?

>  I kept
> getting log messages of the following sort for each attempted authentication from a client
> machine:
>
> [2001/07/23 04:42:26, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(830)
>   smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User mdt !

Hmmm.. I don't recall in any detail, but this vaguely points toward not
having a valid SMB user. I don't know if Samba still requires a separate
userlist;  I seem to recall that it caused a great many problems if you
try to avoid that.

> By the way, I have plain-text passwords enabled for both the SAMBA server (as is the default)
> and for the windoze clients (edited registry).  I have done this to avoid dealing with the
> problem of keeping the unix and smb passwords in sync.  Could this be causing the problem
> with authentication?

Unlikely;  Samba's default config file includes a line to handle
password sync.  Unless you have a *very* weird system, it should work
OK.

-kgd
--
Money is overrated.